Monday, January 14, 2008

Phrase Finder Completes Your Sentences

How frustrating it can be to have a phrase dangling on the tip of your tongue, unable to find the right way to finish it! I wish there were a search engine that could answer questions like:

  • What is the most common preposition after a specific verb?
  • How do people typically finish a specific phrase?
  • Which words usually lead up to this end of a sentence?

Well, now there is!

I built Phrase Finder where you can enter a part of a phrase and find out what are the most common word combinations before and after that phrase. You can search up to 6 leading words and 6 trailing words after the specified phrase unless the clause or sentence finishes before. To get the results, I parse and analyze the top 1,000 hits from Yahoo Web Search.

As a bonus, it's pretty darn fun to play around with, especially if you're a word geek.

PhraseFinder

4 comments:

  1. Jonas, I love it!

    I am a work geek, I love writing, one day I'll force you to read something I wrote!

    Thanks!

    ~Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it's appreciated, and I'll look forward to reading your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant tool for translators too! Simon www.italiantranslator.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoy it - feel free to spread the word! The service is virtually unknown, but I find uses for it almost daily.

    ReplyDelete